Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Before we knew that we were moving we signed Cody and Cole up for baseball. Cole got a call tonight and he made the majors. He was SO excited...Until he realized that he wouldn't be here to play. He cried the rest of the night and was in a horrible mood. I feel so bad for him. It was such a big deal to him that he made the majors, since most boys on majors are a little older than him. Poor kid!
Chad called me this morning. He was sent to the hospital with bronchitis. I knew he was getting sick. They gave him some meds and an inhaler to help him breathe better. He's on light duty for now. Please keep him in your prayers so that he may have a speedy recovery. He also found out he will be going to a town called Farah, It's on the west side of Afghanistan, close to the border of Iran. He will be stationed there with the air force and the 82nd airborne. Sounds scary to me.
It's 12:30 and I'm headed to bed so I can get up early, shower and finish cleaning up endless messes before the realtor gets here..
Okay...so that update was not so quick....I miss not having a picture in this post. :o)
Monday, January 29, 2007
We have weighed many options and have decided on renting the house out in Maricopa. I feel at peace with that decision even though change is very hard for me. I forgot that I took a few pictures the first night we drove out there. Here is the kitchen and the loft, which would be my new scraproom. This one is big enough for me to share it with Mark's office and even have a TV up there for the boys to play video games or watch sports. Plus I can have people over to scrap. In my room now I only have room for 1 guest, so it will be fun to have a few at a time over. Here is a link to the floorplan so you can see the layout of the house. Here is also a link to a virtual tour. It doesn't show 2 of the bathrooms, the laundry room, the large pantry or the garage but you can see where they are on the floorplan link. This house is almost $1000 less a month than my house now. Wev'e discovered that it's much cheaper to live out of town. This will be a huge blessing to us. It's going to be strange living in a town that doesn't even have a Wal-Mart, but it does have 2 grocery stores and plenty of fast food places. Brek, Brittany and the babies were going to live with us again, but tonight they decided to live with her parents for 2 more months then get an apartment. I can't blame them for wanting a place of their own. So now the 3 boys will each have their own bedroom. They have never had this before so let me just say that they were SO excited at the thought of this. It was pretty cute!
Sunday, January 28, 2007
In the midst of all my sadness and turmoil, I received the sweetest package in the mail from Briana. She made these adorable taggie blankets for baby Mark and his little brother or sister, and she made the cute little container filled with strawberry kisses, that I had never tried, but discovered that they are quite good, plus a beautiful handmade card. When I gave one of the blankets to baby Mark his eyes lit up and he started kicking and smiling. He loves it and so do I! I am truly touched and more appreciative than one could possible know. Thank you so much Briana! Brek and Brittany wanted me to pass on big thank you's from them too. :o)
I wish I had good news on the home front. Right now all I know for sure is that we have to move and soon, but to where is a whole other issue. We have a realtor friend that has a nice house we could rent, but the problem is that it's out in the town of Maricopa so Mark would have to commute in everyday. 45 minutes with good traffic and between 1 -1 1/2 hour in bad traffic. I understand that people commute all the time, but when you run a business like ours that has emergency calls all the time, that could be a lot of driving to and from town day or night and our only employee just quit and went back to school so we have no one in town to cover for Mark, so he has the whole burden on his shoulders. He already puts 150 miles a day on his van. Plus we would keep Kyle at his school so he can graduate, but that would mean that Mark would have to leave the house at 6:00 to get him to school on time. We still have that house option available to us, but been looking at houses here too, but haven't found anything that is big enough, in our price range, or isn't out of town the other direction. I'm still waiting on a clear answer to my prayers. I just want to feel some peace to know what is right. It's the worst feeling not knowing where home will be. I love my friends and my ward here. I love the schools and the boys have great friends. It's all just so hard.
Thursday, January 25, 2007
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
- I have a real and genuine fear of death. I don't want to die. The mere thought of it gives me anxiety. I know things on the other side are wonderful, but I'm not done with this life yet and I don't want to miss any of it. I want to be the one to raise my boys, see my grandkids grow up, and grow old with Mark. It's not just me...I don't want any of my loved ones to die either. It's just to painful and my heart can't take it.
- I consider myself a good safe driver, but with a few driving phobias of things like bridges, high freeway overpasses, being boxed in by semi trucks, construction zones where the cones are so close and I'm sure my big old suburban is going to knock out every sign. Mountain passes with cliffs next to me totally freak me out and I'm sure if I lived in the snow I would never drive in the winter.
- When I got married almost 21 years ago, 1 week before I turned 18 I weighed a mere 105 pounds. Now 5 kids later, by body rebelled and I'm a whopping 175 pounds...down from 180 since I "released" those 5 pounds. Yes...I admit my true weight...every stinking pound. I never want to be the stick I was, but to be under the 150 would be great..I don't care if it's 149, just so when I go to the doctor I don't have to flick the thingie over on the scale to the next level. I hate that so much!
- I have zero musical talent. I so wish I could sing and play piano. I use to sing in the car when my kids were little, but they would request that I not do that. I'm sure I'd be one of the rejects on American Idol with Simon saying "Jolene, you really didn't think you could sing did you because that was just awful" I envy those with beautiful singing voices...I know, I know...thou shalt not covet...so I will rephrase and say I really admire those who are musically gifted.
- The first thing I think about every morning is my blog. I'm seriously addicted. After I go to the bathroom, wash my face and brush my teeth I have to come read comments and read the blogs of my buddies before I can do anything else. It will eat away at me if I have to leave the house early and I didn't have time to read....and to think I had to be talked into starting my blog almost a year ago by Amy and September. I get so much pleasure from it. It's emotional to me and I can't imagine not having this outlet and so many dear new friends. It's just a wonderful thing.
I'm tagging anyone who wants to share things about themselves on their blogs.
Now to the 911 part of the title...After I picked up Kyle from school today I took him to the new subway to turn in a job application in the grocery store plaza a mile from my house. Just before I was to where I needed to turn in I saw a white tahoe hit a boy on his bike and launch him into the main road. Thank heavens there were no cars coming at the time or he would have been run over too. The car was coming out of where I was going to be pulling in. The guy that hit him got out and pulled the bike out from under his car, patted the boy on the back as if to say are you okay...walk it off kind of attitude, then got back in his car and drove away. I couldn't believe it. I got his license plate number before he got out of sight. I pulled in and asked the boy if he was okay. He had a friend with him and he was walking his bike because it was not able to be ridden and he was clearly shaken up. He said he was fine and kept walking. I think that was the adrenalin talking and he is probably hurting pretty bad tonight. I called 911 and reported it because it's NOT okay to hit someone and leave...this is coming from a mother who has had 3 of her 5 boys hit by cars who also left the scene. Makes me so mad! I feel good about getting the plate number and I hope they find him and press charges. It scared the heck out of me!
Monday, January 22, 2007
I got some happy mail today too. Lara, a very nice blog reader sent this for baby Mark. As soon as it even remotely fits him, I'll be doing a photo shoot with him and grampy Mark on the motorcycle. Can't you just picture it...cute outfit, sunglasses, bandana on his head...so cute! Thank you so much Lara. Big Mark thought it was very cool too! I don't know why the small version of this picture is so blurry when I attached it in here, but you get the idea.
Sunday, January 21, 2007
Sunday after church I made cheesy potato corn chowder for lunch because it was cold outside then Mark and I took a short nap...mine was shorter than his. I learned my lesson from last weeks too long of a nap. :o) Tonight Brek, Brittany, baby Mark, Sandy, Brittany's mom, brother and niece came over for dinner. We grilled flank steaks, made baked potatoes, green beans and rolls with cheesecake for desert. Everything was so delicious! Flank steak is known for not being so tender, but if it's seasoned, cooked and sliced correctly it's tender and juicy. We love it! Let me just say that it was so fun having 2 cute babies in the house...too darn cute! Tonight we got very strange weather...it really wan't snow or hail. I guess you would call it sleet...very cool for Mesa anyways. The kids were so excited about it. As you can see I haven't had much computer time, but I hope you all had a wonderful weekend with your families.
Friday, January 19, 2007
Thursday, January 18, 2007
Here is a little better picture of my wall. I re-took the picture in the day time. Still dark, but better. I sure love it!
Wednesday, January 17, 2007
I finally finished my altered family picture wall. I ran out of printer ink and had to run to Wal-Mart to get more so I could print the pictures. I never leave the house without makeup, but I thought I could run in and out quick and no one would see me, but NOPE! I ran into a girl I haven't seen in a long time...perfect! ...sigh...oh well...
Monday, January 15, 2007
Sunday, January 14, 2007
Mark and I had a great time playing with baby Mark up in our room while Brittany took a little nap by the fire. We just love this little boy to pieces. He's getting so much personality and it's so fun to watch him develop. Can you believe he's already 4 1/2 months old?!
How can you not love that face?!
Miss Sugar cracks me up. Here she is all stretched out on her back sleeping on Marks legs. She is the only one that will let you rub her tummy. She has the loudest purring motor, unlike momma kitty who NEVER purrs. I love my little princess. She's not the only one who got a nap...I had a great one today after church...by the way, I LOVE my new primary class...such great kids! I can honestly say that I love primary now...so fun! :o) Long nap=me not being able to go to sleep at a decent hour. Weird thing...came home from church today with the front door wide open....kind of creepy to me!
MLK day=no school for kids which=no peace for me....perhaps we'll bake cookies.
Friday, January 12, 2007
Today was NOT a productive day at all. I took care of my niece Olivia and my nephew Carter today. It was a wet cold day so I had them cuddled up with a blanket watching the Incredibles. The second picture of Olivia is from when she was here on New Years Eve. Doesn't she have the best hair? If she was my girl she would hate me because I'd be wanting to play with it all the time. Who knows...I may get a grand daughter. I bet I have like a 20%/80% chance. (that George gene doesn't allow for a 50%/50% shot) I totally forgot what it's like having little kids around. You don't get anything done, and they were both really good. I can't imagine if they'd have been bad. I guess I really got use to my freedom and forgot how to juggle and multi task. Big high 5 to all of you moms out there with babies and toddlers. You're my hero's!
I really really miss my truck. I miss it's small size, I miss it's good gas mileage, I miss the AC, I miss it telling me what song is playing and who sings it. I am just terrible with that kind of stuff. I won't miss the payment!
I like that my suburban is paid off and it's a big safe vehicle to drive. I'm grateful that I didn't let Mark sell it last month, even when a guy was on his way over with cash that we really needed. I just had a feeling and I stuck to my guns. If I hadn't listened to that feeling, I wouldn't have anything to drive now. I told you I'd find positive things.
So glad I'm not the only grown up who breaks out and who deals with a dirty house and mountains of laundry.
I can't believe I've cried everyday for a week...it's SO NOT like me!...and I've been a whiney blogger and you still come back and offer your friendship to me. Things are still really rough, but I'm not going to let it consume me. There really are blessings in every trial and I won't ever see them if I have a negative attitude. It's all in how we handle the trials, right?! It felt good to take dinner in to my friends family. I made lasagna, salad, garlic bread and vanilla chip cookies for them. They are the neatest family and I know they appreciated it.
My 2 day job of cleaning up my scraproom is going to be crammed into Saturday so that Sandy can come over and scrap with me Sunday after church. She is so excited...so am I...not only to scrap, but to have a clean room!!!
Terri....I saw that you have Chad's care package in March. I wanted to let you know that his birthday is March 25th. He is also going to Afghanistan that month. We still don't know when exactly, so I will let you know as soon as I hear.
I promise to catch up on blog reading and emails. I haven't had a lot of computer time. I feel terrible when I get behind. Have a great weekend ladies!
Thursday, January 11, 2007
It's been a couple of years since I went on my last weekend crop. (2004) We use to go every year to a gorgeous resort in Tucson. It was so fun and I always got so many pages done. The first year we had a whole 6 foot table each to ourselves. Each year our work space got smaller and smaller until this last year when we had to squeeze into a workspace of 18 inches by 3 feet. Didn't get nearly as much done that time, but we had fun anyways. It was a 50's theme and the group of friends I went with ordered custom pink bowling shirts with Chatty Scrapper Chicks on the back and our names embroidered on the front....really cute! (in the picture the s is cut off) That was the last year they held these in Tucson. The reason I bring this up is because I really miss going to my yearly weekend crop. I was thinking that when my finances are back on the upswing that I'm going to organize a SMALL crop with maybe a dozen girls...probably up in Payson. I will let you all know when I get my plans firmed up, so that if any of you local girls are interested, we could have a fun scrapbooking weekend together in the Mountains.
Susie Q and Andi are the ones organzing the monthly care package mailings to Chad, so if any of you would like to sign up for a month, you can let one of them know on their blogs. I would really love to see a picture on your blog on the month that you send to him. I talked to him about it and he was so excited! He really isn't too picky and would be thrilled with whatever you came up with to put in his boxes. Thank you so much for your huge hearts! I know some of you are sending him cards and writing him letters. They will mean the world to him and just so you know, he never throws them away because he likes to read his mail over and over. You girls are the best...seriously! :o)
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
- Chad had all of his dental work done yesterday and had 6 shots today for things like typhoid, anthrax, small pox, etc. Pretty serious stuff if you ask me. He said guys were passing out all over the place and most of them didn't get all of them done today. His arm is sore, but he did fine with them. He said that on one of them he has to change the bandage everyday for the next 3 weeks, but can't touch it or bad things will happen. He has to wear gloves to change it. That scares the crap out of me.
- Please tell me I'm not the only one who still gets pimples...I'm almost 39 for petes sake. What's up with that?
- Still don't have a final figure on how much we'll owe on the truck. I guess it really doesn't matter because we don't have the money no matter what the amount is. I so miss my truck. :o(
- I had a really emotional bad day yesterday and broke down crying in the afternoon. I totally missed Cole's parent teacher conference. What kind of mother does that? I've never missed any of my boys conferences. I feel just terrible about it.
- My house has a lot to do with my moods so I've been working around here while the kids are at school. If I can get this place clean I know I will be happier. I've been working on Mount Washmore and got 4 loads done today. My bedroom is looking better and my bathroom is clean...really clean. Not just wiped down...we're talking scrubbed, swept and mopped too. It looks great. Working on the downstairs tomorrow, then my scraproom on Friday and Saturday....yes it's going to take 2 days to clean up this mess, but it will be worth it to feel peaceful again.
- Praying for money to come in so I can pay my bills. I know we have some out there. It just needs to come in. It really wouldn't hurt if we could get some more business too. I hate that owning your own business is either feast or famine and I'm really not enjoying the famine end of it. I'm sure it will get better. It always does.
- Taking dinner in to the sweetest family of 7 Thursday (tonight) night. The mom is pregnant and on bedrest. This one is 2 fold. I can count it towards my service resolution and it gets me to put my attention on someone else instead of my own problems. That always makes me feel better.
- Mark is calling me to bed now. He hates it when I stay up too late. Night all!! Boy that was a whiney blog. I'm so sorry! Next one will be much better....honest! :o)
Monday, January 08, 2007
Saturday, January 06, 2007
We had a stranger take this one of all of us after the ceremony. It's far away, but I'll crop it later.
We got to spend about an hour with Chad before he left. Sandy and I had been crying off and on, but trying to keep a smile as much as we could. Chad did pretty well until I asked him how he was doing and what he was feeling. He got emotional, so of course I was crying again. I'm just so proud of him. The time passed quickly...too quickly. The busses were ready and so was the patriot guard ( probably 100 motorcycles with flags on the backs) who escort the busses to the airport. It was a really neat thing to see. Our final good-bye's before he left were the hardest. I held him tight and said I love you my boy. Sandy had her emotional good-bye and Mark hugged him and told him he loved him and to return with honor. When his bus pulled away my whole heart hurt more than I ever thought possible. It's been a really rough day. We came home and Sandy and I slept for several hours. When I woke up Brek and Brittany brought baby Mark over for me to take care of while they went on a date. We got to talk to Chad when he got there. He is settling in and doing good. Sandy cried pretty much all day. Chad asked me to take care of her...of course I will. I was strong while I talked on the phone to him, because I know that crying only makes it harder on him. I'm just exhausted...both physically and emotionally, but I know it will get better.
Friday, January 05, 2007
P.S. If you've emailed me and haven't got a response yet, I haven't forgotten about you....honest!
Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Today was the day I had to say goodbye to my truck. The claims adjuster came early this morning and the tow truck soon after that. The body shop had a good look at it and have decided to total it because the frame is bent and tweaked all the way down. I'm so sad about this. I love my truck and I can't afford to buy another one. Another problem is that more than likely they will value the truck far lower than the pay off amount and we'll have to pay the difference. I don't even have the deductible money let alone a few thousand dollars to pay off the difference...so thanks to the un-insured red light runner we will be taking it up the back side financially and be without a much needed vehicle. I will find a positive spin on this tragedy....give me a few days to think about it.
Let me give you a little George wrecked car history...not every car we've owned, just the wrecked ones.
- Ford escort...first car...rear ended by an un-insured taxi cab while being 6 month pregnant with Brek.
- Ford LTD...wrecked that while on our way to Colorado for a family reunion. Brek and Chad were very little.
- Oldsmobile silhouette mini van...was t-boned with me and 7 kids in the car, started to roll over from the force of the impact, but Heavenly Father was kind enough to place a school bus in our path to stop the roll just as 2 of the kids were on their way out of the van. We were blessed that day.
- Ford F-150 pick up...in a several minor car accidents mostly involving Brek or our employee Eric driving it...two of which were scraped down the side of my suburban. Brek drives that truck now for work.
- Ford F-350 extra cab...Was hit in the drivers side while Mark was driving then later totaled by Eric.
- Suburban...Mark backed into someone...only had to replace the back doors. Still alive and kicking, but has lots of scars...poor baby! (that's what I'm driving now...AC is out. Big problem when you live here)
- Toyota corolla...Chad totaled that on homecoming with it loaded up with teenagers that were on a group date.
- Chevy Astro work van....Totaled by Eric as well. This time it wasn't his fault....again an un-insured driver....lost lots of money on that one.
- Concourse (one of Marks motorcycles) wrecked by Chad while we were on our 20th anniversary cruise in March.
- My Chevy Colorado...Totaled by Chad...not his fault...another un-insured driver...so sad!
- We use to have 9 vehicles at one time. (2 years ago) 6 parked in the driveway, 1 in the street and 1 at Eric's. Now we have 2 in the driveway and 1 at Eric's. It looks so weird outside.
Tuesday, January 02, 2007
- "RELEASE" 30 pounds..last time I lost them the darn things found their way back home, so I choose to let them go.
- Get and KEEP my house to a place where I'm not embarrassed by drop in guests. The humiliation of a messy house kills me everytime.
- Clean out 1 cupboard or drawer each week in an effort to reclaim the storage I have and make it useful organized storage instead of the tuck and hide storage it currently is.
- Exercise a minimum of 3 days a week...uggg... I hate to exercise...it hurts!
- Work on being a better wife to Mark, mother to my kids and to my daughter in laws and a better Grammy too!
- Write to Chad at least once a week while he's gone.
- Read the Book of Mormon this year.
- Scrapbook or do something scrap/photography related at least once a week.
- Be a GOOD primary teacher this year. (new class-kids 6 turning 7- Mark is my companion teacher this year...YAY!)
- Do not take on more than I can handle. This is a hard one for me.
- Be a good blogging friend to all of you. I cherish the friendships I've made and always have room in my heart for more.
- Do something service or RAK related at least once a week...can be big or small. Service is a huge thing to me. They is no greater gift than the feeling you get from serving from your heart.
Okay....now what about you??? Do you set goals? What are they? If you hate resolutions/goals, tell me why.
P.S. Yes, I have a Canon Rebel XT. I used my 18-200 lens. The remote is cheap and very handy. I can't afford a professional photographer, plus I don't know anyone who would wan't to take on my crazy bunch. :o)
P.S.S. I can finally post on typepad blogs again!!!! but I won't till morning...off to bed!
Monday, January 01, 2007
I haven't printed any pictures yet. I'll show you what it looks like once I get them in the window frame. Jen...I take all of our family pictures. If I'm in them we use the tripod and remote. Chad did take all the ones of me and Mark though.
I hope you all had a fun and safe New Years Eve celebration. We chose to stay home and celebrate as a family in an effort to avoid the stupid drunks on the road. We ate, watched a movie, took the tree down, ate some more, played bingo...yes bingo!, ate some more, drank some caffiene free pepsi and some crystal light, played settlers of catan, rang in the new year with all of my kids, grandbaby, a few of the kids friends and my niece and nephew that we were watching while their parents were brave enough to be on the road with the drunks. I went to bed at 1:00. Yep! We're hard core partiers. LOL! Brek and Brittany and the baby spent the night over here and fell asleep at 2:30 and the niece and nephew still hadn't been picked up yet. We have no idea what time they came to get them. I woke up to Mark cooking breakfast and now him and 9 kids went target shooting. They do it every new years day. The boys are pretty good at hitting those clay pigeons. So now I'm home alone and plan to clean up my bedroom...then start on my scrap room...both are a huge disaster...honest...it's pretty scary. I may not even be able to finish the bedroom today.
I've got to stop avoiding the work ahead of me, so I'm out of here....I almost forgot...Chad and Sandy were driving my truck Saturday night and were in a car accident. They were hit by a car that ran a red light. They're not hurt, but my truck is not drivable. We had it towed to my house. Our insurance company hasn't come out to do the claim yet. The other driver had NO insurance! Hello people...it's the law! I hope it's fix-able. I love my truck....I need my truck! Trying to stay positive. 2007 is going to be a great year, right!
I still can't comment on Typepad blogs...sorry!