Friday, August 22, 2008

Braces and painting...


This week Cody got new braces. He is so happy! He is a kid that has a lot of self confidence, but is very insecure about his teeth and I can't really blame him for that. We don't have any medical insurance, but we did find Dr. Coles here in Maricopa. He is an excellent Orthodontist. We were able to put down $500 and make monthly payments to him for the next 2 years while Cody is in treatment. Braces are SO expensive, but Cody is worth it. I did take a not very flattering picture of him with the jaws of life keeping his mouth open, but I decided to be a nice mom and not share it, but don't think I won't use it against him if need be, for blackmail purposes. :o)


Okay...so yesterday I started painting my house. I just couldn't take the gross flat builders white paint with fingerprints that you can't wash off anymore. I painted for 8 long hours. All of my muscles and bones hurt and I don't have much to show for it. I PLAN to paint the living room, family room, formal dining room, kitchen, eat in dining room, both big halls down stairs up the stair way, the loft and the huge walk around hall upstairs. The boys want their bedrooms painted too, but I can't even think about that right now.
Do you want to know what 8 hours gets you when you paint by yourself? Half the stairway and not even all of my 2 big halls downstairs with their threshold beams. THAT'S IT and that's just with the roller. I haven't even started cutting in the trim yet and I can't do that until I wash all the baseboards. Even the thought of moving furniture away from the walls and taking the enormous amount of decorations off the walls is overwhelming. If you look on the floorplan from my moving sheet, if you walk in the front door there is the living room/formal dining room. The first hallway on the right goes to the kitchen. From the front door you look straight back into my scrapbook room. The hall back there is HUGE! (Ignore the colored scribbles. That was to color code boxes for each room) All day yesterday I was singing little made up songs to myself having to do with I really hate painting but I sure do love this color. Speaking of color. There are SO MANY neutral colors to choose from. Most of which looks great on the little swatch, but not so great on the wall. My good friend Stacie shared with me her paint color that I LOVE, which is Ralph Lauren's "linen", but mixed in the Behr interior eggshell enamel. It has such a nice sheen to it and it has superior scrubability. Perfect! This paint is not something I would have picked off the swatch, but it is by far my favorite neutral color I've seen. I really LOOOOVE it. If there was a better word than love I would use it. It's just so clean and pretty. ahhhh... (Not my house, the paint...hee..hee...house is a mess.)
At the pace I'm going, I hope to be done by Christmas, because not only do I have a lot of square feel to cover, but I have my normal busy life to keep up with too.
Time to jump in the shower. Cole wants me to come to school to talk to his counselor about changing his schedule. They gave him performing arts instead of PE and he hates that kind of stuff. He feels stupid doing drama but loves anything athletic. We'll see if the counselor will let him change.
I can't believe it's Friday already, can you?!

***Edited***
I took off my floor plan picture just in case there are creepy people reading.

13 comments:

Chickenbells said...

Too bad I wasn't closer...I just adore painting and would love to help out! You know...you could have a painting party...bribe a group of friends with your wonderful cooking...a TON would get done then, and it would be a blast!!

Kim said...

I dread painting. We have lived here for five years and we are only down to one room left--our bedroom.

Emily just got her braces on two weeks ago. This was #3 for us (4 if you count mine when we first got married). I always envy families whose kids have perfect teeth. We definately don't fall into that category.

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

Yeah for Cody! His teeth will look great when the braces come off! Then he will be a chic magnet! LOL :o)

Grandma September said...

So exciting for Cody! Josh will get his braces off in November. We did the same kind of thing, only his braces were SO expensive. It was $1500 down and then a fortune for 2 years. We just made the last payment in June. Yay!!!!

Keep on painting, girl, it's lookin' good!

hugs,
Tember

Andi said...

I'm glad that you were able to get Cody his braces. That sure is a nice looking orthodontist in the picture.

You're painting your entire home yourself!!! That's quite a job Jolene but I know it will look wonderful when you finish. Don't overdo it now...just 1 room at a time. Wish I could help you but even if I lived close by I wouldn't be much help with painting. I've never painted before. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime.

familywithfivekids said...

Good for you to do the painting! I start projects like that and then make my sweet husband finish the job. Not too nice of me I know. :)
I love the Olympic party - I will need to share those ideas for a YW activity coming up!

Cecilia said...

Good job on the painting! I know is a lot of work, but you will be so glad you did it!

I have a lot of painting to do myself in the next few months...Wish me luck!

Vida said...

Hi Jolene!
Tell Cody, I understand his happiness and your sadness when it comes to the braces!

I wish I was there to help paint, it would be fun! FYI-I'd take the floor plan off the site just in case there are some freaky people out there that want to check out your neighborhood. :)

Hugs to you! We have about 65 days left here! ;)

All our best,
Vida & Wil :)

Amy said...

Oh, I wish I lived closer, we could have a painting party! So glad Cody got his braces, that was one of the best things my mom & dad did for me! Just wanted to pop in and say hi, I know how busy you are girl, but you are killing me with my package! I run out to check the mail everyday to see if it is there! LOL! Take Care! =)

Diana said...

How Ironic!! This is the same basic colour I picked for our new house!! LOVE IT!!

Emily P. said...

I live close and I would love to help you paint! It would have to be in the evening or on a weekend, though, since I babysit and having a baby around would probably be counter-productive. Not to mention a really bad idea! I want to paint my house too. I love that Ralph Lauren color!

jenjen said...

I will be there. I would love to help. When is the paint party. We can throw the kids is the room we're not painting. I would love to help! Name the time and place and Hopefully I can help!

Pam said...

My oldest got braces in December, it's so not like it was when we were kids, braces are almost a fashion statement now! LOL! My youngest is getting them very soon too! 2 kids in braces at the same time, phew, I could have a sports car! ;)

Your paint looks great and you know you can come do my house when you are done! I only have a few rooms so you can tackle them in no time compared to your big house! ;)