Thursday, April 03, 2008

got milk?

Last night we took the young women to the local dairy. (it is HUGE) One of the girls dad is a head guy there and gave us a private tour. This is in the milking parlor. They milk 10,000 cows-3 time a day here. By the time they get through all 10,000, it's time to start again so they are milking 24 hours a day. It's much cleaner that I was expecting. Jimmy was so full of information. I wish I could have recorded everything he said, because it was all so interesting to me. I learned so much, but I also forgot a lot or didn't hear it because I was at the back of the group and it's kind of loud in there. I think the girls enjoyed it as much as I did.This in underneath where they milk the cows. You can see the milk flowing through the lines.


These tell exactly how much each cow is putting out so they know if it is producing enough.
Then the milk goes through the chiller before it is pumped into milk tankers.



So dang cute! I LOVE cows!We ended our tour at the nursery. The girls loved the calves. They average 30 calves a day are born. They would suck on the girls fingers...so cute! I would have loved to do the tour during the day so I could see all the cows out in the pens. It was too dark to take pictures. When I was young my dad was the milk man. Not this stage of it. He delivered milk to stores. Me and my sisters use to go with him a lot during the summers. It was pretty fun. We were milk lovers growing up and my boys are milk lovers too. We go through 8 gallons a week. We always drank whole milk, now we have 2%, but I love whole. For those of you out there drinking skim milk..DON'T....trust me! :o)
Some of you have been concerned about Brittany since she hasn't updated her blog in a while. Baby Mark has been sick. Plus by the time they boys are down for bed at night she's been to tired to blog, as I'm sure you can understand how hard it is taking care of 2 babies who are only 11 months apart whether they are healthy or sick. She hopes to update soon.


15 comments:

Jacquie said...

Well that would have been a great tour. We're milk drinkers here to, about the same as you guys it would seem. We grew up drinking whole milk and switched over to 2% when I was pregnant with my 1st DD, we now drinkg 1%. But the no skim milk has me curious??

Glad to hear Brittany is ok, have been wondering. But yes she has to be a busy girl.

Monogram Queen said...

I miss the old days when we could get our milk from the local diary (i'm only 41 too!)

I understand Brittany's reasons for not blogging. I still check on her every weekday though.

~Telah said...

8 gallons a week! Wow! We are at 2 gallons a week now, but I see what I have to look forward to.

Pam said...

Gee thanks, I drink Skim milk! And 8 gallons a week? WOW!

familywithfivekids said...

What a fun yw trip! Thanks for posting about it for all of us to learn too.

CHAD & ELISE TYSICK said...

Cute pictures! That was a fun activity!

Anonymous said...

cows nipples must be so sore! Poor girls.

Why don't you visit me anymore? Did I do or say something wrong?

Anonymous said...

cows nipples must be so sore! Poor girls.

Why don't you visit me anymore? Did I do or say something wrong?

Valerie said...

poor Miss Britt..it's enough of a challenge to have two young ones, but sick ones, too? oy.

how fun the dairy tour must have been! i totally loved going on field trips, i would've loved to do that!
(ps...no worries, i don't do skim!)

Desi said...

How fun! Aren't dairys amazing. I went on a tour of one a couple of years ago when I worked at Utah State and they do a lot of research there. Who knew they were so sophisticated?

I do drink skim, not because I don't like the others but because I don't want the calories(I actually tell people that in my heaven we will drink cream instead of milk and not get fat...ha ha ha...that's how much I like it)

Briana said...

Oh I really don't want to know why I shouldn't drink skim milk! It's the ONLY kind I'll drink and then only in cereal. I HATE milk usually.

Thanks for the update on Brittany. I was getting worried!

Marilyn said...

That is very cool. My husband does ag insurance and I showed him the photos too. He sees this stuff all the time. Thanks for sharing!

Jane said...

Can you hook me up to bring my YW for a tour? That looks like you had a good time.

I can't do skim, but I only drink 1% MY dh is a whole milk drinker though.

We go through 2 gallons a week for the 6 of us. I thought that was a lot LOL!

Andi said...

Hmmm...I left a comment on this post late last week and it's nowhere to be found. Blogger sometimes does that to me.

Your field trip looks like such fun.

I made my 4 x 6 card and my hubby mailed it off to you last Friday so it should arrive there this week. 4 x 6 is not a lot of space to be creative but I wanted to try making one for you.

Where is Chad? Is he back in the states are still overseas?

Andi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.